Outdoor Rugs: Complete Guide to Choosing, Placing and Cleaning for Patio & Backyard
Shop & More• July 18•7 min
My family loves spending time outdoors. But back in 2020, the whole world halted and we couldn't go out to enjoy the breeze or beautiful sunshine. But, we suddenly realized that we had a beautiful backyard with lush green grass, a patio with comfortable furniture, and a well-maintained pool.
- Why do you need outdoor rugs?
- What's the best outdoor rug material?
- Where to put your outdoor rugs?
- How to clean your outdoor rugs?
However, we felt that something was missing - something to tie it all together.
That's when we discovered the wonderful world of outdoor rugs. We quickly realized that outdoor rugs were more than just a pretty accessory - they were practical too. Thanks to our outdoor rugs, my family spent more time outside than ever before. We loved the way the rugs brought our backyard to life, and made it feel like a true extension of our home.
Now the pandemic has come to an end but we still spent a lot of time in our backyard and we even started hosting outdoor parties and barbecues, knowing that our guests would be just as comfortable outside as they would be inside. Do you want to enjoy outdoor time with your family and friends like us? You need outdoor rugs too. This article will tell you everything that you need to know for choosing the best outdoor rugs and how to maintain and clean them.
Why do you need outdoor rugs?
Outdoor rugs are a must-have for anyone who loves spending time outside. Not only do they add a touch of style and sophistication to your outdoor living space, but they also serve several practical purposes.
- Outdoor rugs help to define your space. Whether you have a patio, deck, or backyard area, an outdoor rug can help to create a designated area for seating, dining, or entertaining. By laying down an outdoor rug, you can delineate the boundaries of your outdoor living space and create a cozy and welcoming environment.
- Outdoor rugs provide a soft and comfortable surface for your feet. Walking barefoot on hard surfaces like concrete or wood can be uncomfortable and even painful over time. Outdoor rugs provide a cushioned surface that is gentle on your feet, making it more enjoyable to spend time outside.
- Outdoor rugs can help to protect your floors. If you have a deck or patio made of wood, stone, or concrete, outdoor rugs can help to prevent wear and tear on your floors. They can also protect your floors from scratches, stains, and other types of damage.
- Outdoor rugs are versatile and can be used in a variety of settings. They come in many different colors, patterns, and sizes, making it easy to find one that suits your style and needs. Whether you want to create a cozy seating area on your patio, define the boundaries of your backyard, or add a splash of color to your pool area, there is an outdoor rug that can help you achieve your desired look and feel.
In summary, outdoor rugs are an essential accessory for anyone who wants to create a comfortable and stylish outdoor living space.
What's the best outdoor rug material?
Choosing the right material for your outdoor rug is the key to ensuring that your rug looks great and performs well over time. Here are some of the recommended materials for outdoor rugs:
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene is a popular material for outdoor rugs because it is durable, fade-resistant, and easy to clean. It can withstand exposure to sunlight and moisture, making it perfect for use in outdoor settings.
- Polyester: Polyester is another great option for outdoor rugs. It is soft to the touch, easy to clean, and resists fading and mildew. Polyester is also a more eco-friendly option than some other materials, as it is made from recycled materials.
- Nylon: Nylon is a durable and strong material that can withstand heavy foot traffic and exposure to the elements. It is resistant to stains, fading, and mildews, and can be cleaned easily with a mild detergent and water.
- Sisal: Sisal is a natural fiber that is derived from the agave plant. It is a popular choice for outdoor rugs because it is durable, easy to clean, and has a natural look and feel. Sisal rugs can be vacuumed or brushed cleanbut should be kept dry to prevent mold and mildew growth.
In summary, when choosing the best outdoor rug material, it is important to consider durability, resistance to fading and mildew, ease of cleaning, and the overall look and feel of the material. Polypropylene, polyester, nylon, sisal, and bamboo are all great options that can help you create a beautiful and functional outdoor living space.
RugItAll is a reliable provider of quality outdoor rugs. Their rugs are made from 20% cotton and 80% polyester, making them perfect for the outdoor environment. The outdoor rugs are specifically designed for outdoor use and have been treated to resist fading and mildew.
Where to put your outdoor rugs?
Outdoor rugs can be placed in a variety of locations, depending on your specific needs and preferences. I placed several outdoor rugs and my favorite one is the Miami outdoor blue & white rug on my patio. Here are some ideas for where to put your outdoor rug:
- Patio: A patio is a great location for an outdoor rug. You can place the rug under a table and chairs to create a cozy dining area, or use it to define a seating area for relaxing and entertaining.
- Deck: If you have a deck, consider placing an outdoor rug under your outdoor furniture to create a cohesive and stylish look. A rug can also help to protect your deck from scratches and other damage.
- Porch: A front or back porch is another great location for an outdoor rug. You can use the rug to create a welcoming and inviting space for guests or to create a cozy seating area for yourself.
- Pool area: If you have a pool, an outdoor rug can help to create a safe and slip-resistant surface around the pool. You can also use the rug to define a seating area near the pool for lounging and relaxing.
- Garden: An outdoor rug can be used to define a specific area of your garden, such as a seating area or a pathway. It can also be used to create a focal point or to add a pop of color to your outdoor space.
How to clean your outdoor rugs?
Maintaining and cleaning outdoor rugs is crucial to their longevity and performance. Outdoor rugs are exposed to harsh weather conditions, foot traffic, and various outdoor elements, making them more susceptible to wear and tear than indoor rugs. Regular cleaning and maintenance not only keeps outdoor rugs looking their best but also helps to extend their lifespan. Benefits of regular cleaning include the prevention of mold and mildew growth and the preservation of their colors and patterns.
RugItAll offers double-layered outdoor rugs and the first layer is the rug cover and the bottom layer is a non-slip rug pad. When you wash the rugs, you can simply remove the cover and here are some specific steps for you to follow:
- Vacuum regularly: Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt, dust, and debris from your rug. Be sure to vacuum both sides of the rug to remove any trapped dirt and dust.
- Spot clean spills: If you spill something on your outdoor rug, clean it up as soon as possible to prevent stains. Use a clean cloth and a mild detergent to blot the spill, then rinse the area with water and let it dry completely.
- Power wash: If your rug is particularly dirty or has stubborn stains, you can use a power washer to clean it. Be sure to use a low-pressure setting and a mild detergent, and rinse the rug thoroughly with water.
- Hang to dry: After cleaning your outdoor rug, hang it up to dry completely before putting it back in place. This will prevent mold and mildew growth and keep the rug looking and smelling fresh.
- Store properly: If you live in an area with harsh winter weather or other extreme conditions, consider storing your outdoor rug indoors during the off-season. Be sure to clean and dry the rug thoroughly before storing it, and wrap it in plastic or a tarp to protect it from moisture and pests.
In conclusion, outdoor rugs are a great way to add style, comfort, and functionality to your outdoor living space. They help to define your space, provide a comfortable surface for your feet, protect your floors, and add a splash of color and texture to your outdoor area. When choosing the right outdoor rug, consider factors such as durability, resistance to fading and mildew, ease of cleaning, and overall look and feel. By selecting the best outdoor rug for your space and maintaining it properly, you can create an outdoor living space that is both beautiful and functional.
If you want to create an inviting and comfortable outdoor living space, consider investing in an outdoor rug from a reliable provider like RugItAll. Their rugs are made from durable materials and specifically designed for outdoor use, ensuring that they will look great and perform well over time.